Farrer & Co has an ability to build and orchestrate a team really well, so everyone knows what role they’re playing. They are so meticulous.
With a client base including a large number of ultra-high-net-worth individuals across the world, we provide specialist advice on the full range of private and business issues for entrepreneurs. Bringing together our corporate and private client experts, we can support and guide you through the many complex legal issues to ensure you achieve your personal and commercial goals.
The needs of our clients span a number of areas – private client, corporate, family, philanthropy, financial services, disputes, residential and commercial property – and we are one of only a few firms able to offer genuinely market-leading expertise in all of these areas – all under one roof and all readily available to collaborate to achieve a rapid solution.
We can advise on setting up, developing and growing businesses, as well as bringing in external funding and maintaining control for the next generation, all done in the most tax-efficient way possible. We have very strong relationships with our entrepreneurial clients, relationships that have been built up over time thanks to our consistently strong track record and in-depth market knowledge.
Our strength and versatility are demonstrated in the number of recent successes within the team, including:
- advising a father and son in partnership, publishing nationally-distributed journals in the arts world on their business structure, Wills, pre-nuptial agreements and property ownerships.
- advising a well known UK e-commerce entrepreneur during the run-up to his exit from the business, covering matters such as entrepreneurs’ relief and the change to rates of tax, business property relief, his trusts and Will, as well as succession planning and advice on pre-nuptial agreements, especially in the wake of the Radmacher case. We are also helping him achieve his personal charitable and philanthropic aims, including setting up a charity and working with him on a business angels project with a nationally established charity.
- acting for a leading property entrepreneur on the acquisition of several corporate vehicles with a value in excess of £500 million. The structure of the deal was unusual but it allows our client to participate in any exit from, or sale of, the portfolio assets.
- advising a European client who approached us after leading counsel advised him that he had a £40million tax bill to pay. The team entered into intense negotiations with HMRC on the client’s behalf and succeeded in getting them to withdraw the £40 million tax assessment.
- advising a group of private investors, led by a serial entrepreneur, who backed the MBO team that bought out KBC Peel Hunt – the London brokerage and corporate finance house. The deal was particularly innovative as it involved a group of entrepreneurs and private individuals who invested the £74 million necessary for the transaction to take place, in an adaptation of a model traditionally used by private equity institutions - but with very little senior debt and leverage.
Our work for entrepreneurs is one of the most exciting and rapidly developing areas in the firm, and every member of our team genuinely enjoys the range and challenge of the work they do. We understand fully the needs and considerations of the entrepreneur and take pride in offering a highly specialised service in an increasingly complex market.
For more information contact one of our specialist advisers below or visit our Press office.