Farrers lawyers act as counsellors in the true sense.
Chambers & Partners, 2011
The area of family businesses presents a series of unique legal and commercial requirements, and we have a long tradition of working with successful families, supporting and advising them on a wide range of issues spanning both their corporate and personal needs.
Our main aim is to help you meet both your commercial and personal goals. We achieve this by providing a fully integrated legal service drawing on our expertise across a number of legal areas, in particular our corporate and private client teams.
Some of our recent work includes:
- advising a successful family business spanning three generations on a range of personal issues including tax planning, employee benefit trusts and complex Wills.
- advising a UK-based family office on the setting up of an international charitable foundation based in England for a well-known family with worldwide interests including tax, governance and staffing arrangements.
- providing a range of personal and corporate advice to the married owners of a business, including offering strategies to mitigate capital gains and inheritance tax, and to utilise business property reliefs. Also considering tax-efficient long-term investment structures including a private unit trust, family limited partnership, family settlements, Wills, succession and estate planning.
- providing complex asset protection advice concerning both land and business assets, including inheritance tax and trust and succession planning, to protect assets for future generations of a long-standing landed estate client.
- advising on succession planning for a substantial UK-based family business involved in the leisure industry, dealing with the founders of the business and their heirs. Work included putting in place a series of trusts to receive shares in the holding company over a 10-year period, advising on 'balance of power' issues in terms of beneficial interest and trustee powers, setting up a bespoke private trust company for long-term use as trustee of various family trusts, drafting a family constitution, incorporation of a grant-making Charity, review of Wills for the whole family, advising on a shareholders' agreement and changes to the Articles of Association of the holding company and advising fully on taxation issues in conjunction with the family accountant.
The group brings together solicitors from our tax, property, employment, charity, disputes, financial services and IP teams, enabling us to cater for every potential aspect of your legal needs. Our experts have extensive first-hand business experience, which allows us to better understand our client’s needs and requirements.
We believe that, in order to offer the most effective advice to our clients, building and maintaining a lasting relationship is key. The group always looks to develop an in-depth understanding of each client’s business and personal requirements, allowing us to both anticipate and respond efficiently to your needs.
We know that family businesses often raise issues that require careful and sensitive handling. But we also understand that the rewards of success can be more satisfying than in any other type of business.
For more information contact one of our specialist advisers below or visit our Press office.