Its knowledge is significant and it brings its expertise to bear in a very positive way for its clients.
Farrer & Co's highly-regarded Media Group has wide experience of most media sectors and the opportunities and challenges they face, including:
- News and magazine publishing, for clients including Bauer Media, the publisher of heat and Closer and a national newspaper publisher;
- B2B information/intelligence, for clients including the Economist Group and UBM;
- Academic and STM journal publishing, for clients such as Sage Publications and BMJ Publishing Group;
- Literary estates, where clients include the Royal Literary Fund (with interests in the estates of AA Milne and Somerset Maugham) and the Patrick O'Brian estate;
- Major cultural institutions and event/festival organisers such as Tate, Somerset House, the V&A and the Southbank Centre;
- Radio broadcasters including Bauer Radio, the broadcaster of Kiss and Magic 105.4;
- Major cultural publishers such as the publishing arms of the UK's national museums and galleries, such as the National Gallery Company and the Royal Collection; and
- the British Library as a key stakeholder in the publishing and information sector, not least with its responsibilities under legal deposit legislation and as custodian of the nation's written heritage.
The Media Group works closely with the firm's Sports Group on, for example, the exploitation of TV broadcast rights in major sporting events owned by leading national governing bodies; and the Higher Education Group on the acquisition of significant archives by leading Russell Group universities; and for London Business School, for example, on its media buying.
Top-rated by leading legal directory The Legal 500, the Farrer & Co Media Group is led by Henry Sainty, who is described as having "superb commercial acumen", and Peter Wienand, described in the Chambers legal directory as a "truly excellent lawyer who any client would want on their side". They are supported by a wide range of lawyers with significant media practices, including Paul Jones (commercial), Richard Lane (corporate), Jonathan Eley (employment) and Julian Pike (disputes).
To read more about our experience working with media organisations, please click here.
For more information contact one of our specialist advisers below or visit our Press office.