This group advises a broad array of sporting clients across the full gamut of commercial, disciplinary and regulatory issues.
We provide commercial sports and leisure businesses with practical, forward-thinking advice, drawing on our extensive experience advising a range of organisations including agencies, charities and foundations, event management companies and operators of leisure and visitor attractions.
We frequently advise our clients on regulatory, corporate and commercial, sponsorship, employment and property matters. Our clients tell us they value the fact that we give advice they need to hear - which is not necessarily the same as advice they want to hear.
Lawyers comprising our Sports Group, which includes a cross-section of practitioners across the firm with knowledge of sports, culture and wider leisure sectors, are externally recognised as leading names in their particular fields. Our ability to offer clients reliable, cost-effective and swift solutions across a range of practice areas is something many other advisers in the field simply cannot match.
Matters on which we have recently advised include:
- the establishment of a new company to take over the event management of a major equestrian event and the associated business transfer agreement and charity and property law issues arising in the context of the deal;
- establishing, for the benefit of a major international sports event organiser, the media and broadcasting arrangements, athlete agreements, commercial participation, employment and rules for the event;
- the establishment of a charitable foundation established to deliver the official international sports legacy programme for a major international event;
- advising on the corporate disposal of a major subsidiary company for a leading sports management agency;
- advising a developer of online coaching resources on its joint venture with an international sports federation to develop innovative digital resources and means of expanding the international federation’s coaching programme;
- assisting a sports organisation with the licensing of its brand to a property developer and its contribution to the development of sporting and leisure facilities within the development.
- the acquisition of Wycombe Wanderers' Football Club by its supporters' trust
- two Olympic London 2012 CAS appeals
- Millwall Football Club on the redevelopment of its ground and the use that can be made of it by third parties, including the Millwall Community Scheme, the charity associated with the club
- license arrangements for use at Loughborough University and use of a floating grandstand
- the staging of the Diamond Jubilee Pageant and London International Horse Show
We also have experience of assisting clients in bidding to host sports events as well as advising on all the issues required to fund, manage and deliver sporting and leisure events, festivals and tournaments.
Many of our specialist lawyers sit on industry advisory boards and we continue to speak at high-profile events that shape the future of the sports and leisure industry, on subjects such as social responsibility, sponsorship and reputation management. These include the Sport & Recreation Alliance Finance & Governance Forum, the Visitors Attractions Conference and various events for the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions.
For more information contact one of our specialist advisers above or email us at email@example.com.