This prestigious team has a stellar reputation, particularly in matters relating to employment, IP, charity and student issues.
Chambers & Partners, 2013
At Farrers, we are used to dealing with high-profile, sophisticated clients who require a long term legal relationship with a full service firm. Our higher education client list currently includes the University of Oxford, Imperial College and the London Business School, as well as numerous Oxbridge Colleges.
We are also one of the selected panel firms for the London Universities Purchasing Consortium (LUPC). The LUPC was set up to maximise value from the collaborative procurement of goods and services, and includes some of the country’s leading universities, colleges, cultural institutions and a number of government agencies.
Recognised throughout the legal profession as specialists in higher education, we have an enviable reputation based on sector knowledge, insight and a wealth of experience.
The heart of our offering lies in our ability to draw together a number of lawyers, all experts in their fields, to collaborate and agree the most practical solution to your challenge. We welcome secondment arrangements so we can learn about and understand an institution from the inside. This not only ensures you receive the best advice, but sets in place a robust legal framework for you to take into the future and build upon to achieve your educational and business goals.
In the many years we have been practising in the higher education sector, our HE team has worked on a huge variety of cases, advising statutory, charter and private institutions and all types of HEIs from universities, colleges, business and medical research institutions, to student unions and exam boards. Our experience in the field of higher education has provided us with a number of fascinating cases. Some of the most recent include:
- Advising Imperial College London on its collaboration with Nanyang Technological University (NTU) to establish a new medical school in Singapore, which will offer a joint undergraduate medical degree programme when doors open to students in 2013.
- Advising the University of Oxford on a £75m donation, which was widely reported in the national and international press.
- Creating a joint venture subsidiary charity of two universities for the distribution of public funds to encourage entrepreneurship.
- Advising on a Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council research collaboration between a leading research institute and private sector partners.
- Advising on the formation of an intellectual property policy for a leading UK business school.
- Providing charity and constitutional advice on the review and amendment of a university charter and ordinances including its student regulations, and the review and amalgamation of its trust funds.
- Providing advice on anti-bribery and fraud policies and procedures.
- Acting in an 11-week employment tribunal hearing in which a multi-applicant discrimination claim was successfully defended on behalf of a higher education institution.
- Acting for a London medical college in its redevelopment and construction of a large Smithfield site.
For more information contact one of our specialist advisers below or visit our Press office.