The sports team at Farrer is well reputed for its work with sports governing bodies, and continues to act for the RFU, RFL, LTA, MCC and UK Athletics. It offers expert commercial and regulatory advice.
Chambers & Partners
The principles of good governance are broadly similar across all commercial sectors and whether it be sports clubs, governing bodies or major sports organisations, our Sports Group understands all the nuances.
We work with club committees, directors and the senior management of major sports organisations to ensure that their governing documents and corporate structures are clear, carefully tailored and reflect the latest legal developments.
We have specific expertise advising sports clubs and governing bodies whether constituted as unincorporated associations, industrial and provident societies or companies limited by guarantee on all governance issues. We also have particular experience advising clubs and governing bodies on their incorporation as companies limited by guarantee or community interest companies and on whether CASC registration is appropriate.
Some of our recent work highlights include:
- advising multiple leading NGBs on reviews of their constitutions and governance structures to ensure compliance with the UK Sport and Sport England's new Code for Sports Governance, and guiding them through the process of consultation with members to ensure adoption of required reforms;
- advising three leading NGBs on the establishment and funding of operating companies to run international sporting events and facilitate the participation of GB teams at the Olympics;
- helping the Sport and Recreation Alliance develop a set of Model Articles of Association with Guidance Notes, for use by NGBs;
- advising the Lawn Tennis Association and the Rugby Football Union on the production of a pack of template documents and guidance notes to help their clubs through the incorporation process;
- the establishment of a new company to take over the event management of a major equestrian event and the associated business transfer agreement and charity and property law issues arising in the context of the deal.
Tom Bruce leads our Sports Governance practice. He is recommended by the legal directories for corporate governance matters, and ‘has almost singlehandedly helped to modernise the governance of many sports organisations.' Legal 500
For more information contact one of our specialist advisers above or email us at email@example.com.