Private wealth matters
With an 18-partner practice, Farrer & Co provides an ‘impeccable’ service to clients from the old and new worlds of private wealth. The team regularly advises on complex domestic and international tax and trust structuring, and also provides complementary, high-level expertise in charity law and property, particularly for sizeable landed estates.
Providing expert and pragmatic advice to our individual clients and their families has been an inherent part of our practice for many decades. We enjoy working with our international and UK-based clients on the widest possible range of legal, family and business issues, priding ourselves on our in-depth understanding of your specific needs, whether relating to pure tax and legal concerns or in the crucial role of trusted adviser for many other considerations.
Our solutions are always bespoke and we can put together exactly the right team of people from across the firm to assist you with the matter immediately at hand whilst always keeping an eye on your long-term interests and goals.
Many of our clients have complicated business interests with assets held all over the world, often making use of trusts, foundations or family offices. Our dynamic presence in the international marketplace (we are recognised as one of the top ten firms globally for our strengths in international private wealth advice) means we can work effectively with offshore trustees, bankers, investment managers and family office professionals to assist our clients with the challenges they face to combine wealth preservation with other family or philanthropic aims.
Our recent work includes:
- Advising a client on settling his Russian business and property interests into a trust structure
- Advising a Middle Eastern client on a tax-efficient structure to protect his worldwide assets and to ensure smooth succession to the next generation. By creating a Foundation we have safeguarded family assets during a period of political unrest. Involvement of junior members of the family in the Board of the Foundation has enabled them to "buy into" the family philosophy. The structure has been created to allow flexibility and acknowledge future claims which might be made under Islamic law.
- Advising a Russian client regarding the corporate structures of his restaurant business in the UK and Europe.
- Acting for a client taking advantage of the Liechtenstein Disclosure Facility. Numerous trusts and foundations were involved, with total declared assets in the region of £100 million.
- Acting for a wealthy Chinese client on becoming UK resident and the potential tax implications for her personally and for her family and planning structures.
- Acting in relation to a contentious trust case which is currently before the Cayman court in a two-month trial. The claim involves complex valuation and disclosure issues and is worth in the region of $100 million.
- Acting for numerous international investors in the acquisition of prime commercial and residential properties, including liaising with offshore trustees; advising as to tax efficient structures; acting in the procurement of construction services (including advising on building contracts, consultants’ appointments and warranties); and advising on residential development strategy (including both residential projects for disposal and ongoing letting/management).
- Acting in a highly publicised international divorce case regarding the enforceability of a German pre-nuptial agreement in England – the implementation of which involved setting up and negotiating complex trust and company property ownership structures, both domestically and internationally.
- Acting in relation to two major pre-nuptial agreements, both of them connected with assets in the region of US$300 million. One concerns assets located in Switzerland, Argentina, The Netherlands and Jersey, while the other involves assets in Russia and the Ukraine. In both cases, we have been asked to advise on complex reorganisations of trusts.
For more information contact one of our specialist advisers above or email us at email@example.com.