Charles Anderson has significant experience of a broad range of property matters, with particular expertise in residential development work for major landowners. He also acts for a number of charities.
Chambers & Partners
Charlie has over 30 years’ experience advising on commercial property, investment, development and asset management. Clients include property companies, international private offices and trustee companies and prominent UK institutions including charities and livery companies. Charlie’s practice particularly cover equity share investment leases in the City/West End, urban community developments and capital projects for charities and institutions.
Recent experience includes:
- Leading the team for an international private office in the acquisition of a portfolio of commercial and residential properties (prime and secondary) in excess of £200 million.
- Acting for the Duchy of Cornwall on the Poundbury and Nansledan developments covering all aspects of structuring, developing and disposal/management of the projects.
- Advising WWF-UK on its national headquarters project, the Living Planet Centre in Woking, including the Development Agreements/Agreement for Lease and leading the team covering planning, property tax, construction funding and charity governance.
- Acting for Red Tree (2004) LLP in respect of the Sherford Urban Community Project and particularly the structuring of the disposal of the land to a developers' consortium.
- Acting for a Livery Company in the phased disposal by long lease of the income stream from a City investment to institutional investors.
- Acting for a City freeholder in relation to a City tower development including finanace secured against the investment.
- Acting for a national medical institution in respect of the part-redevelopment/part-disposal of its prime central London site.
- Acting for a national institution in respect of the redevelopment/part disposal of its prime St Pancras site.
Charlie lectures regularly on aspects of property law, including presentations on investment in the Channel Islands, Switzerland and Hong Kong and speaking at the annual Charities Property Conference.
Chambers & Partners says:
- Charles Anderson is skilled in a variety of real estate matters including portfolio management, investment transactions and development projects. He regularly acts for institutional clients and charity organisations. "He is very thorough and very reliable," says one client, with another adding: "He's very good, very organised, very down to earth and turns things around quickly."
- Clients say he is "extremely knowledgeable on a wide range of subjects" and praise the "clarity of his verbal presentation".
- "Has a diverse client base of international investors, charities and social landlords. He has recently advised WWF-UK on its Living Planet Centre headquarters project, and has continued to represent the Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust in the Derwenthorpe urban community project".
- "He looks at the property itself as well as the documents; he is exceeding expectations the whole time".
- "Thorough, detailed, knowledgeable, and always calm under pressure".
- He covers a broad array of asset management, investment and development work. He regularly acts on complex property matters on behalf of charities. "He is extremely thorough and faultless in his operation".
Who we help
Charlie specialises in advising entrepreneurs and family businesses on their commercial property matters. This work ranges from investment acquisitions to development projects, particularly the master-planning and development structuring/disposal of urban communities. Go to Entrepreneurs
Charlie advises international investors on the acquisition of commercial property and development projects such as redeveloping office/residential buildings. Charlie regularly presents to off-shore trustee companies and banks and has written on commercial property investment for the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners Journal with particular reference to off-shore trust structures and management and control issues. Go to Private wealth
Charlie advises charities on major capital projects such as acquisition and development of headquarters buildings and significant development sales. Charlie lectures regularly on property matters for charities and in particular has spoken at the Charities Property Conference for several years. Charlie acts for several livery companies in particular advising on their City freehold property holdings. Go to Charities & social enterprises