Toby Graham has "the best manner with lay clients of any solicitor - he has a wonderful way of making them feel confident in him."
Toby is head of Farrer & Co contentious trusts and estates group. Toby specialises in contentious trusts and estates, usually of high value with international elements. He has been involved in trusts disputes before courts in England, The Bahamas, Bermuda, BVI, Cayman, Cyprus, Guernsey, Jersey, Singapore, Switzerland and TCI. He has experience of a broad range of disputes such as third party claims; validity issues; breach of trust; Hastings Bass; applications for approval under VTA; disputes over investment performance; Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975; validity challenges to wills.
Toby is co-editor of Trusts & Trustees published by Oxford University Press; a member of the editorial board of Wills & Trusts Law Reports; a co-editor of "A Practical Guide to the Transfer of Trusteeships" (2nd ed) published by STEP and is the author of the course notes for the STEP Certificate in Trust Disputes.
Toby is a member of the Trust Law Committee, the Chair of the STEP Contentious Trusts and Estates Special Interest Group and a member of the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law.
Toby is described in Legal 500 as "particularly excellent".
Toby was named the Private Client lawyer of the year (Who's Who Legal) (March 2014). Their research describes him as "the most highly regarded lawyer in our research" and "a 'pre-eminent' practitioner" who is "noted for his 'expert handling of complex multijurisdictional disputes'" who is "considered a 'point of reference' by many in the sector". He was the winner of a STEP "outstanding achievement" award (2007/8).
- To access articles published in Trusts & Trustees written by Toby please click here.
- Toby contributed a chapter to International Trust Disputes (2011), OUP
- Toby is author of the course notes for STEP Trust Disputes Course
- Toby is the editor, and contributor to various chapters of International Guide to Money Laundering Law and Practice (2nd edition), Butterworths
- Toby is the co-author, with Nicholas Elliott QC and Evan Bell, of Money Laundering (2003), Butterworths Compliance Series
- Novatrust Limited v Kea Investments Limited and others  EWHC 4061 (Ch)
- Stiftung Salle Modulable (2) Rutli Stiftung v Butterfield Trust (Bermuda) Limited  SC (Bda) 47 Civ
- Rybolovleva v Rybolovlev
- Q v Q  SC (Bda) 40 Civ
- Gomez v Gomez-Monche Vives  EWCA Civ 1065
- Alhamrani v Alhamrani  JCA 164
- Wingate v Butterfield Trust (Bermuda) Limited  WTLR 543 2008 WL 1771461
- Weissfisch v Julius and others  EWCA 218 Court of Appeal
10 December 2014
Novatrust Limited v Kea Investments Limited and others  EWHC 4061 (Ch)
21 February 2014
(1) Stiftung Salle Modulable (2) Rutli Stiftung v Butterfield Trust (Bermuda) Limited  SC (Bda) 47 Civ
03 May 2012
Rybolovleva v Rybolovlev
16 April 2010
Q v Q  SC (Bda) 40 Civ
03 October 2008
Gomez v Gomez-Monche Vives  EWCA Civ 1065
30 August 2007
Alhamrani v Alhamrani  JCA 164
14 December 2007
Wingate v Butterfield Trust (Bermuda) Limited  WTLR 543 2008 WL 1771461
08 March 2006
Weissfisch v Julius and others  EWCA 218 Court of Appeal