Farrer & Co has 'truly excellent commercial litigators'.
Our clients trust us with their most significant disputes
Clients turn to Farrer & Co when they are faced with disputes which are critical to their business. They have confidence in our ability to deal with complex, high profile and strategically important issues and to deliver commercial advice in a timely and professional manner. Other professionals often refer disputes to us because of our reputation for client care and the quality of our advice.
There is an international element in almost every major case we have conducted in recent years and our network of international lawyers allows us to obtain advice from, and representation in, most jurisdictions.
Over the past 12 months Farrer & Co has advised on commercial disputes worth a total of over £2.5 billion.
A tailored approach
Each client and each dispute is unique. We provide pragmatic advice about the merits of a case, and work closely with our clients to devise a strategy which is tailored to their objectives and enables them to take control of the process.
When dealing with our opponents we are tenacious and we express legal arguments in persuasive terms. We consider the available steps to optimise our clients' position in the litigation. Where possible, we then use this leverage to negotiate advantageous settlement terms.
A cost-effective service
As Chambers 2015 observes, we are “very much partner-led, which results in an extremely efficient use of time and resources”. We do not “over-lawyer” and our approach enables us to deliver a cost-effective service. Nonetheless we have the resources and the experience to conduct and to manage large–scale, high-value, complex litigation, including cross-border cases.
We do all that is reasonably possible to meet a client's concerns on such matters as the predictability of the cost of litigation, the impact of managing the information produced for disclosure and consequences for confidentiality and reputation.
We will always consider whether litigation can be avoided or curtailed by negotiation or alternative dispute resolution.
Recent cases have included:
- Acting for an individual in challenging a worldwide freezing order granted in London in support of foreign proceedings.
- Acting for a US based investment advisory in a groundbreaking Supreme Court case about the nature of proprietary remedies available in relation to breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Advising the claimant in a claim for $75 million involving breaches of contract relating to investments on the Luxembourg stock exchange.
- Advising the Macedonian state broadcaster in a complex international dispute regarding broadcast rights for Macedonian programming around the world.
- Advising a large charity on a multi-million pound claim against its former investment advisors for negligence, breach of contract and breach of FSA rules.
- Acting for a hedge fund in relation to a long-running multi-jurisdictional dispute involving allegations of theft of confidential information, corporate spying and breach of privacy.
- Advising two Swiss foundations in high-profile proceedings in Bermuda regarding funding for the construction of an opera house for £80 million.
- Acting for a successful entrepreneur who has brought a multi-million pound claim against his former solicitor for negligent tax advice.
- Advising a UK corporate client in connection with the handling of historic personal injury claims in the USA.
- Acting for company directors in defending a derivative claim from hostile shareholders.
- Representing individual defendants in a high value civil fraud claim.
- Acting for the claimant company in a claim against its solicitors for negligent advice.
For more information contact one of our specialist advisers above or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.