David specialises in intellectual property and commercial law, predominantly advising clients operating in IP rich sectors such as higher education, financial services, culture, media and technology.
David regularly advises clients on a range of issues relating to the acquisition, protection and exploitation of intellectual property rights, including in relation to trade marks, copyright, and other forms of registered and unregistered rights. David’s principal areas of focus are complex collaborative projects involving the creation and/or exploitation of intellectual property, and IP considerations arising in corporate transactions, research collaborations and joint ventures.
In terms of more general commercial work, David has expertise in relation to technology contracts, IT and business process outsourcing, supply and distribution agreements and a range of other contractual matters.
Recent experience includes:
- advising a number of London universities on significant strategic collaborations in India, Singapore, China and Hong Kong
- advising Historic Royal Palaces on the joint venture arrangements relating to the poppies at the Tower of London, voted London’s top cultural attraction of 2014
- coordinating IP due diligence on one of the UK’s premier music publishing catalogues for a private bank
- advising the RFU on a joint venture and outsourcing arrangement relating to the provision of hospitality and catering at Twickenham Stadium.
- advising the Institute of Cancer Research (the UK’s leading research institute under the UK Government’s Research Excellence Framework) on its ground-breaking agreement with BACIT Limited, an innovative LSE listed fund-of-funds established to help fund the battle against cancer.
- advising various investment funds and financial services advisory businesses on IP and confidentiality matters.
- advising various businesses, universities, cultural institutions and charities on IT outsourcing and system acquisitions.
- constructing and analysing complex EU funded research consortia under Horizon 2020, including Knowledge and Innovation Communities (KICs) and European Research Infrastructure Consortia (ERICs)
Who we help
David advises both start-ups and more established owner-managed businesses on all aspects of IP law including securing IP rights in new intangible content and technologies, protecting confidential aspects of new business models, and reviewing IP portfolios prior to exit. Go to Entrepreneurial businesses
David is Head of the Higher Education Group. He advises a number of leading UK universities and HE institutions in relation to their collaborative ventures, technology transfer arrangements and IT procurement projects. Go to Higher education institutions
David regularly advises charity clients and their trading companies on a broad range of intellectual property and commercial issues, including in relation to brand licensing, outsourcing and IP considerations arising in mergers and reorganisations. Go to Charities & social enterprises