Charities & social enterprises
The firm has a sizeable multidisciplinary charities group with specialists capable of advising on all the legal issues facing charitable bodies.
Currently we act for more than 400 charities, social enterprises and not-for-profit organisations and are recognised as one of the legal industry’s top practices for the sector. With in-depth commercial experience and awareness of the very latest developments in the sector, our clients benefit from a realistic and pragmatic approach to problem-solving in this rapidly changing legislative and regulatory environment.
Matters on which we have recently advised include:
- acting for clients bringing the first public benefit case before the Charity Tribunal – described by Sector leaders as the most significant charity law case in the last 50 years
- advising the merger parties in the UK’s largest charity merger, establishing the merger charity, advising on the transfer of the operations of the merger partners
- acting for the administrator/liquidator on one of the most complex charity insolvencies
- advising a major charity group on its brand licensing and social-franchising arrangements throughout the UK
- advising a UK charity on the worldwide reorganisation of operations of the family of charities of which it is part
- Advising on the establishment and funding arrangements of a free-standing College and HEI within the University of London.
Legacy disputes can arise for a number of reasons. A relative might contest the validity a will or an estate might be badly administered. Whatever the reason, it is clear that disputes surrounding legacies are increasing and we are here to help to resolve them.
We advise charities where they are named as a beneficiary on the full range of trust and probate work including, validity disputes, claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975 and Court of Protection matters. Of course, we all know that prevention is better than cure, and we also provide advice on issues concerning the construction of Wills and trusts, rectification applications and administration issues such as the removal of executors and trustees.
For more information contact one of our specialist advisers above or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.