Changes in force from April 2015
As highlighted in some previous posts Looking back, looking forwards – a year in the life of WorkLife and Compensation limits to be increased from April, there are a number of changes coming into effect this month including:
- Shared parental leave – It has felt like a long time coming but the new shared parental leave provisions will apply to parents of children due on or after 5 April 2015 (or placed for adoption on or after this date).
- Extension of the right to unpaid parental leave – The right to take up to 18 weeks’ unpaid parental leave will apply to qualifying parents of children under 18 (it is currently available to qualifying parents of children under 5 [unless the child has a disability in which case the age limit is 18]).
- Extension of rights for adopters – including: the removal of the requirement for 26 weeks' service before employees become entitled to adoption leave and an extension of rights to couples adopting a child from outside the UK and couples fostering children as part of a Fostering for Adoption placement.
- An increase in the standard weekly rate of SMP, SPP, ShPP and SAP – to £139.58 from 5 April 2015.
- An increase in the rate of SSP – to £88.45 from 6 April 2015.
- An increase in compensation limits (see our previous post here)
- Consolidation of the National Minimum Wage legislation - the new Regulations are due to come into force on 6 April 2015 and whilst these new Regulations consolidate the current legislation they do not make any substantive changes to the current regime.