Owning art generates complex legal issues, often as fine as the art itself. Our specialist teams handle all art matters with expert knowledge and advice.
Our art law specialists
As leading legal specialists in the art and cultural property sector, we understand the art market . Our client base includes collectors, artists, dealers, banks, landed estates, charitable foundations museums and leading galleries. Whatever your issue, our expert team is on hand to guide you through the legal and commercial issues you may face. Our experience in the field of art law is extensive. As far back as 1820 we advised the Duke of Wellington on the insurance of his art collection. These days you may find us advising clients looking to buy NFTs.
Our art and heritage legal expertise
We’ve worked on some of the art world’s most complex transactions. The unique insight we have gained in the sector, combined with a deep understanding of each individual client’s aims and priorities means we look ahead to anticipate future issues and the assistance you may need then.
Whether they are seeking advice on the sale of a major collection, a title dispute, structuring and financing a purchase or on a compliance and regulatory issue, our clients know we have the expertise to help them navigate this ever evolving market.
Our expertise in art law
- Authenticity and provenance issues
- Consignment agreements
- Acquisition and sale of art and luxury assets
- Art finance, investment and third-party guarantees
- Art and estate succession planning
- Copyright protection and licensing
- Art insurance (including the Government Indemnity Scheme)
- Art litigation and recovery of stolen artwork
- Reputation management and handling media
- Gifts and philanthropy involving artworks and collections
- Global mobility: export, import and VAT