At Farrer & Co, we have been providing cutting edge charity law advice to charities and not-for-profit organisations for nearly as long as we have existed. We anticipate regulation, help charities contend with the repercussions of ongoing political change, manage reputations in the hostile media environment and provide clear direction in a crisis. We support them through this challenging landscape and help maximise their greatest opportunities.
Our advice is commercial and to the point, assisting senior leadership teams and trustees in decision-making. Our values mean we gain our clients' trust, always strive to do the right thing, and aim for the best results for them.
How our charity lawyers can help you
We can help with transformational projects and all aspects of a charities’ operations including:
- Major governance reviews
- Challenging regulatory and compliance issues
- Innovative financing initiatives, financial difficulties and insolvency
- Mergers and restructuring of multi-layered charitable organisations
- Setting up a new charity
- Legal support for the rebalancing of investment portfolios
- Property advice including major infrastructure projects
- Employment tribunals, workplace investigations and TUPE
- Disputes, including legacy disputes
- Serious incident reports/crisis management
- Safeguarding and child protection concerns: policies and procedures, managing audits and reviews, and in dealings with the Charity Commission and other regulators
- Protecting personal data/managing data breaches
- Trading subsidiaries/fundraising (including through commercial partnerships and professional fundraising arrangements)/commercial contracts
- Tax and social investment
- Reputation management of the charity brand/commercially exploiting the charity brand
- Restructuring of unincorporated charities, including historic endowment funds
- Setting up a corporate foundation
Our charity law experience
Our team includes some of the UK’s leading experts on charity law, with experience supporting national and international organisations through major growth and complex change, as well as in their day to day charitable work.
Our work with the Charity Commission and Fundraising Regulator
We regularly work closely with key sector bodies, regulators and legislators. We have worked closely with the Charity Commission on the further development of the Charity Authorised Investment Fund (a major development in charity financing) and with the Fundraising Regulator to update the Code of Fundraising Practice.
At the forefront of the biggest charity sector developments for more than two decades
We were instructed in the first case on the charities exception in the Equality Act 2010 to reach the Supreme Court, providing cutting edge advice in relation to charity law. We are also the only law firm to have acted as lead advisers in all three Charity Tribunal cases dealing with public benefit in the context of educational charities, benevolent funds and religious charities.
Where our clients’ operations extend into other jurisdictions, we work with a trusted network of lawyers around the world.