We advise numerous high profile professional and membership organisations, including chartered institutes and medical royal colleges. The legal and regulatory framework for organisations such as these is complex, and with long-standing relationships across the sector, we understand the challenges faced on governance and constitutional matters, relationships with members, and across the range of your activities, whether linked to transformational capital projects, educational work or funding.
Our knowledge and expertise with professional & membership organisations
- Our expert teams have significant expertise on governance and constitutional issues for organisations governed by Royal Charter. This specialist area requires detailed knowledge of the complex procedures of making changes to statutes and bye-laws or petitioning for a supplemental Charter; as well an effective working relationship with the Privy Council Office. We also advise many organisations established by statute and those established as companies limited by guarantee.
- We regularly advise on membership issues including disciplinary matters, managing conflicts of interest, and resolving disputes with members. With our extensive experience in acting for membership organisations, we can offer proactive legal support tailored to your organisation. Our specialist teams also advise on employment law issues.
- We are regarded as one of the leading legal advisers to the charity sector, although we recognise not all professional and membership bodies are charities. With our exceptional reputation in the sector we are well placed to advise on the latest changes to charity law and regulation, and how these apply to your organisation. We also have particular expertise advising on the application of consumer regulation to membership organisations.
- For professional and membership organisations executing large capital projects, we regularly provide support on commercial property, construction and planning.
- We also provide advice on commercial contracts, intellectual property and branding issues. Managing data, and the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulations, are a major concern for organisations across the sector, and we offer support on the full range of data and cyber issues.