Intellectual Property & Technology
From software licensing to contentious trade mark issues, for many organisations, handling their intellectual property well is a cornerstone of the business strategy that will shape their future success.
We advise clients operating within any sector rich in intellectual property on almost all aspects of IP law.
Our clients include news and information publishers, financial services businesses, software companies, museums and galleries, heritage institutions, universities and schools, brands, technology and engineering manufacturers and sports organisations. This gives us a wealth of experience in these sectors, and the issues that are common to all.
With the growth of digital technology, IP is a fast-moving area of law. Our team of specialists constantly monitor trends and developments in this sector, sitting on government and industry advisory panels and as members of key organisations and associations.
We have significant expertise in advising on copyright law in the UK, and on the protection afforded to copyright-protected materials around the world.
Our services include:
- Enforcing copyright against third party infringers
- Negotiating and drafting copyright licences, assignments and commercialisation agreements
- Enforcing copyright and database rights through the courts, and
- Defending our clients against claims from third parties.
We have considerable experience of brand protection issues, and advise clients of all types, from early stage businesses to established institutions, on how to protect, maintain and enforce their brands.
We advise on a full range of contentious and non-contentious matters including
- Trade mark application strategies and filing UK and international trade marks
- Brand licensing, franchise, distribution and sponsorship agreements
- Registered and unregistered trade mark rights, and
- Assisting clients with trade mark opposition, cancellation and invalidation actions.
IP licensing is crucial to the success of many of our clients’ businesses and we understand how important swift, practical advice is, not only in respect of individual agreements, but to inform the long-term direction of your brand.
We act for both licensors and licensees on a range of IP licensing agreements from software and patent licensing to image licensing. We can create bespoke and tailored agreements for brand partnerships and one-off arrangements, ensuring the appropriate contractual protections are put in place. We are equally well versed in creating standard templates which can help ensure all of your licensees operate on the same terms.
We advise businesses and investors in relation to the IP aspects of corporate transactions and funding arrangements, ensuring that IP issues are properly considered and managed.
We are experienced in undertaking legal due diligence in respect of a broad range of industry sectors and types of IP rights, including
- Copyright across software, literary, musical and other artistic works
- Design rights
- Trade mark rights
- Patents and confidential information and know how, and
- Contracts relating to IP and IT.
In addition to undertaking due diligence, we work closely with the firm's corporate law specialists and regularly advise on the IP and technology aspects of sale, loan and investment documentation.