Will and estate disputes are detrimental to family harmony and personal privacy. For these reasons they require careful and sensitive handling to ensure the situation does not escalate and costs are contained. We are known for our solutions-orientated approach but the ability to be tough when needed.
Domestic and International Succession Disputes
Our work in this area tends to relate to very high value estates with complex offshore structures. We act for those bringing and defending succession disputes where assets within these structures are often held in multiple jurisdictions with conflicting laws. We also act for those who may be taking a neutral role in relation to the dispute whilst undertaking their duty to look after estate assets pending resolution.
We can assist in all types of dispute, for example:
- challenges to the validity of a will, whether on grounds of incapacity, undue influence, forgery or fraud
- claims by disappointed beneficiaries to a greater share in the estate (for example claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, or to recover assets transferred during lifetime including the impact of conflicting laws in different jurisdictions)
- how to rectify a will or deal with ambiguities in how it is drafted
- administration disputes, and removal/substitution of executors and personal representatives
- disputes over burial/cremation
- dealing with capacity issues in the Court of Protection (and equivalent foreign courts) including applications for statutory wills and deputyship/attorneyship disputes.