Alice acts for individuals, families, charities, schools, universities and investment landowners on a range of matters relating to residential, commercial and agricultural property. She also has experience acting for banks in secured lending matters.
Alice's experience includes:
- Buying and selling estates, farms and residential properties;
- Leasing of agricultural, commercial and residential property;
- The grant of, enforcement and variation of easements and covenants;
- Advising on tenanted land issues, including tenancies under the Rent Act, Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 tenancies and modern Farm Business Tenancies, as well as security for tenure for commercial properties under the 1954 Act;
- Secured lending and mortgages;
- Adverse possession claims;
- Sporting rights, minerals and wildlife law; and
- First registrations.
Specialising in rural property has brought real breadth to Alice's experience. Her clients often have diverse portfolios in both rural and urban areas. Working on large estate purchases requires advising on commercial, residential and agricultural tenancies together with issues unique to rural areas, such as sporting rights and entitlements.
Alice enjoys working with her colleagues in different practice areas within Farrer & Co to ensure clients receive pragmatic and co-ordinated advice to ensure the best possible outcome is achieved.
Examples of recent work include:
- The purchase of a £40 million residential development site in Hampshire, largely funded by securing new charges against the site and other parts of the client's estate.
- A complex surrender of an Agricultural Holdings Act tenancy in Yorkshire, to include the simultaneous sale of the farmhouse to the tenant and the purchase of three new parcels of land from the tenant.
- The grant of three new farm business tenancies following the surrender of the 200 acre holding.
Prior to joining Farrer & Co, Alice worked in the House of Commons for three years as a parliamentary assistant and agricultural policy researcher for a Member of Parliament.
Alice recently published an article on the badger cull in the Summer 2017 edition of the Farrer & Co Rural Estates Newsletter.
Alice is a member of the Agricultural Law Association.