Fraud & Asset Recovery
Our team of fraud and asset tracing lawyers has market-leading experience in complex high profile, high value and cross-border matters.
Our experience in fraud and asset recovery
We are on hand to provide urgent assistance for all fraud and asset-recovery processes, including:
- Freezing injunctions
- Search orders
- Norwich Pharmacal disclosure orders
- Tracing assets through onshore and offshore jurisdictions
We have advised clients in some of the biggest international fraud cases in the Commercial Court in recent years.
International fraud and asset tracing
We regularly act on multi-jurisdictional matters where we are adept in acting as ‘international counsel’. Our work often involves coordinating multi-disciplinary teams of UK and overseas lawyers, forensic investigators, expert witnesses and communications advisors. In this connection, we are often tasked with conceiving and implementing multi-disciplinary approaches to complex legal, political and reputational issues.
During our long history we have built an extensive independent global network (onshore and offshore) of specialist and trusted law firms, forensic accountants, business intelligence firms and communications advisors.
Our network enables us to provide bespoke solutions working with the very best advisors on a matter by matter basis, without being tied to any firm.
Many relationships in our network have endured for decades and we are able to count on reliable and expert support from trusted advisors in some of the most challenging jurisdictions (including jurisdictions such as Switzerland, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Russia and other former CIS countries; and in sub-Saharan Africa). Working together, we provide a seamless, technically excellent and commercially astute service, grounded in a deep understanding of local cultures.
Recent client highlights
The following are illustrative examples of the team members’ experience in multi-jurisdictional fraud and asset tracing matters:
- B R Shetty in a worldwide mandate concerning multi-billion dollar disputes following the collapse of the NMC group of companies. Notable jurisdictions: England, UAE, India, US and BVI.
- Libyan Investment Authority in relation to various international fraud-related matters valued in at billions of dollars. Notable jurisdictions: Libya, Malta, England, the Netherlands, the Cayman Islands, France and Germany.
- Cedar Capital Partners in a landmark Supreme Court case valued at $211 million USD which established significant new law in the areas of trusts, fiduciary duties and proprietary tracing claims.
- Sir Owen Glenn and Kea Investments Limited in a complex £160 million fraud. Notable jurisdictions: England, Switzerland, the BVI, Jersey, New Zealand and Panama.
- Trustees of New Zealand trusts relating to claims against Sergei Pugachev and fraud claims valued at over $3.5 billion USD. Notable jurisdictions: England, Russia and New Zealand.
- HSBC in the multi-billion dollar Madoff fraud litigation and connected matters. Notable jurisdictions: US, Europe (Luxembourg, England, Ireland), South America (Brazil) and South-East Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore).
- British Arab Commercial Bank in the Algosaibi litigations. Notable jurisdictions: England, Saudi Arabia and the Cayman Islands.
- Mukhtar Ablyazov in his multi-billion dollar case against BTA Bank Kazakhstan. Notable jurisdictions: England, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
- Guaranty Trust Bank (Nigeria) in a fraud claim involving corrupt bank officials valued at c. £120 million. Notable jurisdictions: UK, US and Nigeria.
- Acting for one of Russia's largest oil companies in $300 million USD fraud proceedings in the English High Court. Notable jurisdictions: Russia; Ukraine and England.
- Acting for an UHNW individual in high-value fraud claims in proceedings in multiple jurisdictions. Notable jurisdictions: Sweden; Luxembourg; Germany and Cyprus.
- Acting for a private equity fund in multi-million dollar claims in relation to the collapse of a private equity group and allegations of fraud. Notable jurisdictions: the Cayman Islands; Dubai and the DIFC.
Huge expertise and experience across a broad range of skills needed for fraud claims, excellent collaboration with financial quantum and technical analysts, investigators and counsel.